Are you watching your weight? Sometimes, it may take a bit of time to see the first results of your training. Healthy food is part of the process! There are delicious recipes available to you, meals made packed with flavor and texture, that only take a few minutes to prepare. Lower calorie meals don’t have to be boring, or lack variety!
Asian Sesame Prawns and a Smashed Cucumber Salad
Smashing cucumber slices helps them to absorb the vinaigrette, and absorb the flavors. Yum. You don’t want to overdo it, and make pulp. You’re aiming to soften, and help the cucumber retain the flavors.
It’s popular in Asia, cucumbers will be sweeter, or sourer, depending on the flavors that you add! It will be similar to marinating them, overnight. Add hot brown rice, and peanuts, for a yummy Asian meal.
Note that this delicious meal is perfect if you’re a vegetarian!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. ¼ Cup sesame oil
2. A pound of shrimps (deveined)
3. 5 teaspoons low- sodium soy sauce
4. 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber
5. 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (broad leaf)
6. 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)
7. 1 tablespoon of honey
8. 1 tablespoon of crushed, fresh, ginger
9. 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
10. 1 garlic clove, crushed finely
1. Heat your oil in a large pan, add your shrimp and cook for 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, and cook for a further 30 seconds.
2. lace the rest of the oil, rice vinegar, and other ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add the cucumber slices.
3. Take a rolling pin, or, the flat part of a knife, and, gently crush the cucumber mix.
4. Serve with brown rice. Enjoy!
Grilled Flat Iron Steaks With Ratatouille
Grass- fed steak has a lower fat content than grain fed. To ensure your steaks are super tender you can pound them. This will also speed up cooking time. For medium-rare, three minutes on the grill is all you need. Charred summer squashes, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes complement the smoky flavors of this tasty low-calorie recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1. 2 X 8oz. Flat iron steaks
2. 1 teaspoon salt (half for your veggies, half for the meat)
3. 1 teaspoon, freshly ground black pepper (the same)
4. 2 cups of cherry/ baby tomatoes, halved.
5. 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6. 1 yellow squash, sliced (10oz)
7. 1 zucchini, sliced. (10oz)
8. 4 green onions, trimmed
9. 1 eggplant, sliced across (½ inch thickness, slices for all vegetables)
10. 2 tablespoons mint
11. 2 tablespoons extra virgin, olive oil
12. ½ a cup of basil leaves
13. Cooking spray
1. Cover your chopping board with a layer of plastic wrap. Place the steaks onto the plastic. Cover with another layer of wrap. Use a meat pounder, or something heavy, to pound the steaks until they are ¼ inch thick. Throw away the plastic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat your grill. You will need a high, heat setting ( 440/550)
3. Spray your vegetables with cooking spray. Place them onto a rack/ tray. Directly onto the grate, will give them charred lines.
4. The zucchini and squash will color faster than the eggplant. They will need two, or three minutes, each side. The onions should be tender, then chop up, roughly. Mix your vegetables together with the tomatoes in a bowl.
5. Place your steaks directly on the grill. A minute or so each side, and they will be done. Let them rest for at least 5 minutes. Place them on a chopping board. Slice thinly. Remember to slice against the grain, this makes them more tender.
6. Add the mint and oil to your salad, and mix. Then add the basil.
7. Plate up. Enjoy!
Moroccan Chicken Pot
This hearty North African meal is filled with goodness, with healthy protein-rich, chicken and chickpeas. Seasoned with harissa, you’ll enjoy a healthy, tasty, meal that will keep your energy sustained, too.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1. 4 Chicken breasts, skin removed.
2. 1 teaspoon cumin
3. 1 tablespoon olive oil
4. 1 onion, thinly sliced
5. 1 can of cherry tomatoes
6. 2 tablespoons harissa paste
7. 1 tablespoon honey (clear)
8. 2 zucchini, sliced
9. 1 can chickpeas, drained.
10. 1 cup of water.
1. Season the chicken with the cumin and plenty of ground, black pepper. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Add the chicken and onions. Cook for a few minutes (about 3) and turn over, keep an eye on the onions too – stirring them frequently.
2. Add the tomatoes and water. Add the harissa paste, honey, and other ingredients. Let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, until the sauce has reduced, and is thicker.
3. Plate up. Enjoy.